When I worked as a movie reviewer way back when, I created a series of movie trivia quizzes in my Cinema Side Notes column for both of my readers. Now, I am reviving the long-dead idea in hopes that it will amuse a whole new generation of readers. (Hopefully, at least three.)
So, it’s time to test your knowledge of obscure cinema trivia by answering the following ten multiple choice questions.
Score one point for each correct response. The answers will be posted at the bottom. They are accurate, to the best of my knowledge, as of July of 2009.
For those who deem it necessary to validate your self-worth, feel free to base it on the following scale:
Reel Quiz Ratings Scale
9-10 Correct (Ph.D. in Film)
You are so talented that you could help Jean-Claude Van Damme win a Best Actor Oscar in the role of Hamlet: To Be or Not To Be Your Punching Bag.
7-8 Correct (M.A. in Film)
You are an under-appreciated genius, doomed to forever film quirky indie comedies that delve into hot button topics such as teen pregnancy, incest and polygamy (and sometimes, all three at the same time).
5-6 Correct (B.A. in Film)
You are an avid film lover, but you don’t know your best boy from your key grip.
3-4 Correct (A.A. in Film)
You wait to rent movies when you really should be going out more to the multiplex on the weekend. I am soooo disappointed in you.
1-2 Correct (Film School Dropout)
You are the scum of the Earth. Sorry, but somebody had to tell you.
(1) What was the first movie to make $100 million in domestic (U.S. and Canada) theatres?
C) Star Wars
D) How Stella Got Her Groove Back
(2) What was the first movie to make $300 million in domestic (U.S. and Canada) theatres?
A) Return of the Jedi
B) Smilla’s Sense of Snow
D) Jurassic Park
(3) Which of the following movies does not include veteran actor Kevin Bacon in its cast?
D) Friday the 13th
(4) Which of the following titles IS NOT the actual name of a movie?
A) The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love
B) Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
C) I Cry When People I Know Die
D) KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park
(5) Which of the following titles IS the actual name of a movie?
A) I Spit on Your Grave
B) I Never Eat Celery on Wednesdays
C) Hot Pants College
D) Rainy Days and Mondays Always Bring Me Down, Bitch
(6) Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween have all spawned several sequels and re-imaginings. What is the total sum you get when you add together all the feature films released (thus far) in these three horror franchises? (As of July 2009)
(7) If you were on Death Row and wanted to live as long as possible, which of the following films would you choose for your Last Movie?
A) Dances with Wolves
B) Gone With the Wind
D) The Right Stuff
(8) Which of the following titles IS NOT the actual name of a movie?
A) What Evil Tastes Like
B) I Was A Zombie for the FBI
C) SnakeEater 2: The Drug Buster
D) Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street
(9) Which of the following titles IS the actual name of a movie?
A) Vixens in Love
B) Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Bloom Gleam
C) I Stalked Neil Diamond
D) The Cat That Ate New York City
10) ER star Anthony Edwards starred in a lot of zany school comedies long before he donned his medical scrubs on TV. Most notably, he had a lead role in Revenge of the Nerds. Of the following school flicks, which is the only one he did not have a role in?
A) Fast Times at Ridgemont High
B) How I Got Into College
C) Up the Academy
D) High School USA
(1) B (Jaws)
(2) D (Jurassic Park)
(3) A (Porky's)
(4) C (I Cry When People I Know Die)
(5) A (I Spit on Your Grave)
(6) D (28) - Friday the 13th has 12 (including Freddy vs. Jason), Nightmare has six (NOT including Freddy vs. Jason so we don’t count it twice) and Halloween brings another nine. However, all three franchises have greenlighted movies on the docket so that number will soon rise to 31.
(7) B - Gone With the Wind is 231 minutes long. (Note: Dances with Wolves only feels the longest. Also, you’d be better off renting the Extended Edition of Return of the King which clocks in at 252 minutes long. Again with the ring is soooo heavy? Frankly Mr. Frodo, I don't give a damn!)
(8) A (What Evil Tastes Like)
(9) B (Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Bloom Gleam)
(10) C (Up the Academy)