Friday, August 21, 2009

Classic Controversial Campaigns From PETA


(Part Two)

Yesterday, I blogged about how I was in utter awe of PETA. It's true. They are the largest animal rights organization in the world (with over two million members) and they are by far the most vocal and unforgettable.

I confess that I often can’t wait to see what they’ll come up with next. Their ads are always quite creative and interesting, but they too often cross the line.

Most of PETA’s ads are offensive or sexist, or both. Even though I understand the political undertone of their messages, I shake my head in disbelief because some of them are just plain virulent. It’s like trying to get someone to see your viewpoint by spitting repeatedly in their face.

Still, like them or hate them, PETA generates countless headlines and I admire the group’s relentless tenacity.

Let's take a look at some of their more inspired and inflammatory campaigns:


I think, everybody can agree: all children should
cut
class much more often. Thank you, Andy Dick.



Who really wants to see a naked woman covered in magic
marker
lines that depict which parts of her will make for
a fine evening
of gourmet BBQ? (Um, other than cannibals.)



While I understand the point PETA is trying to make, it
comes across as a weird S&M rape fantasy. Also, I am deeply
disturbed that I find an elephant so damn smoking hot.




Hmmm. Be comfortable in your own skin.
Great message,
except after seeing this I’ll
never feel comfortable again.




Foxy lady, here I come... I’m coming to get ya.



Do you really know of many people who don't love to wear
their dog around the house?




This ad was so offensive that PETA eventually issued a public apology to various outlets of the Jewish media on Holocaust Remembrance Day. Not only did this one cross the line, but it pretty much obliterated it.

Speaking of which, I will now leave you with one final questionable PR campaign from PETA. The organization came up with its own “Unhappy Meal” handout a while back in an effort to teach families about the “unhappy” lives of chickens raised to be future McNuggets.

This copy describing it is directly from PETA’s web site:

“The inside of the Unhappy Meal box is stained with "blood" and contains a "blood"-filled packet urging McDonald's to "Ketchup With the Times," a paper cutout of a menacing Ronald McDonald with PETA's parody "I'm Hatin' It" logo, a "bloody" plastic chicken, and a "Chicken McCruelty" T-shirt wrapped up like a sandwich.”



Damn, that's just hardcore.

Personally, this is one of my favorites as it is just plain wrong on so many levels. Anytime I see a psychotic clown wielding a knife on packaging geared toward young children, well, that generally gets my attention.

This campaign was completely unacceptable. It is unspeakably cruel for the poor souls who suffer from coulrophobia, or the fear of clowns. It is estimated that about 8% of Americans suffer from this fear.

That’s only slightly more than the percentage of Americans who are paranoid that the ketchup packets at their favorite fast food restaurant actually contain real blood.

Ah PETA, you always give the public some interesting food for thought.


No comments: